Fort Worth, incorporated in 1873, adopted a council-manager form of government when it received its charter from the Texas Legislature in 1924.
In council-manager systems – the most popular form of government in the United States today – a city council appoints a city manager to administer and coordinate municipal operations and programs. In Fort Worth, council also appoints the city secretary, city attorney, city auditor, municipal court judges and residents who serve on city boards and commissions.
About the City Council
Councilmembers are elected from the district in which they reside, with the exception of the mayor who is elected at large. The mayor is the official head of the city’s government and represents Fort Worth on ceremonial occasions. The mayor is a voting member of the city council, presides over council meetings and represents the council to the public. The mayor may respond to resident concerns by appointing special committees to address particular issues. Councilmembers and the mayor are elected for two years terms, after which they must step down or run for re-election. In the absence of the mayor, the mayor pro tem presides over council meetings.
Duties of the council also include setting the tax rate, approving the budget, planning for capital improvements, adopting all city ordinances, selecting residents to serve on boards and commissions, and approving major land transactions, purchases and contracts. It takes six members to constitute a quorum.
View the City Council procedures.
Find your district
Use OneAddress to find your district. Individual district maps are also available on council district pages.
Council meetings, which are open to the public, are conducted three times a month at 7 p.m. Tuesdays in the Council Chamber at City Hall, 200 Texas St., unless otherwise posted.
City Council Work Sessions begin at 3 p.m. on meeting days in the City Council Conference Room at City Hall, 200 Texas St., unless otherwise posted.
See the city calendar for a detailed schedule.
Work session and regular meeting agendas are generally posted on Friday afternoons before each regularly scheduled Tuesday meeting.
- Starting 08/06/2019
- Prior to 08/06/2019
To get notified when agendas post:
City Council Informal Reports
April 24, 2020
- IR 10398 - COVID-19 Advisory Committees Update
- IR 10399 - Monthly Funding Payments Due to Visit Fort Worth
- IR 10400 - Deferral of Hotel Occupancy Taxes, Tourism Public Improvement Districts
- Presentation: Fire - Suburban Dispatching for Saginaw and Lake Worth
- Presentation - Restated and Amended MedStar Interlocal Cooperative Agreement
April 21, 2020
- IR 10395 - Weekly Update COVID-19 Advisory Committees
- IR 10396 - 2020 Summer Programs
- IR 10397 - Monthly Development Activity Report
- Presentation - Capital Delivery Project Status Updates
- Presentation - Text to 911 Implementation
April 14, 2020
- IR 10389 - Weekly Update COVID-19 Advisory Council
- IR 10390 - Residential and Commercial Rental Evictions
- IR 10391 - Code Compliance Violation Prioritization
- IR 10392 - Park Compliance with Declaration of Public Health Emergency
- IR 10393 - 2020 Mowing Schedule
- IR 10394 - February 2020 Sales Tax Update
- Council Presentation: Transportation Impact Fee Programming
April 7, 2020
- IR 10384 - Weekly Update on COVID-19 Advisory Committees
- IR 10385 - Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act
- IR 10386 - Code Compliance Officer Turnover
- IR 10387 - Response to Existing Slabs in Cavile
- IR 10388 - Transition of the Office of Business Diversity
March 27, 2020
- IR 10378 - Weekly Update on COVID-19 Advisory Committees
- IR 10379 - January 2020 – Sales Tax Update
- IR 10380 - Accelerate DFW Foundation Lease
- IR 10381 - Maintenance of Street Lights
- IR 10382 - Monthly Development Activity Report
- IR 10383 - Local Policy Floodplain Initiative
- Council Memo - Zoning Docket Overview of Significant Zoning Cases
Visit the district pages to contact individual councilmembers.
To request a proclamation or certificate of recognition, use the online form.
Click image to view the
2019 Annual Report